Microsoft Office includes several applications and services such as Excel, Skype, Word, PowerPoint, Visio, etc. People use these programs and services in their personal as well as professional field. To tell the truth, understanding how to use Microsoft Office is amongst the necessary requirements for a majority of work profiles. Be it bookkeeping, database management, commerce or coding; one must have sufficient knowledge of Microsoft Office apps.
At present, a majority of computer users know how to use the basic apps of MS Office. Certain programs such as Word and services such as OneDrive are used on almost every day. However, the everyday usage is limited to typing texts, making charts, computation, and other such things. Microsoft Office can be used in all kinds of work environments. It is not only extremely user-friendly, but it is also easy to learn.
Microsoft Office Versions
Microsoft Office 365
Office 365 is a cloud-based suite. The best and most prominent feature of this productivity suite is that it makes creating, storing, and communication a walk in the park. With Office 365, you literally can work from just about anywhere provided you have internet.
Microsoft Office 2016
Microsoft Office 2016 had new layouts for programs such as Word and PowerPoint. Co-authoring feature is available in some programs, and it happens on a real-time basis. Another essential element of Office 2016 is that it is integrated with OneDrive as well as Skype.
Microsoft Office 2013
Microsoft Office 2013 has a modern style UI. The interface was very minimalistic and less distracting. Office 2013 has effective integration with SkyDrive and SharePoint. The Recommended charts feature in Excel 2013 made it easier to insert line, bar, and pie charts.
Microsoft Office 2010
Microsoft Office 2010 contained terrific features such as Backstage and conversation view. The Ribbon could be customized, and users could modify it as per their preference. Documents were safer in Office 2010 because of Protected View and Data Execution Prevention.
Microsoft Office 2007
In Office 2007, certain programs such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint have the ability to remove hidden data like comments. Users can remove the tracking information by using Document Inspector. SmartArt graphics is present in Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Microsoft Office 2003
Microsoft Office 2003 was initially released on August 19, 2003. It consisted of collaboration tools, SharePoint integration, smart tags, etc. Toolbars were present in all Office 2003 programs. One could view full-screen videos in PowerPoint and Outlook had anti-spam.
Download and Install Office Setup
If you have a subscription or copy of Office suite, then you should download and install it. You do not have to remove any older version or application of Office. However, before downloading and installing the setup, make sure that your device has the required space and meets all the other requirements. Also, make sure that all the drivers are updated. Here is how you can download and install Office setup on Mac and Windows PC:
Download and Install Office for Windows
- Open the web browser.
- Go to office.com/setup.
- Log in to your Office account.
- In the home page, click on the suite you want to download.
- Click on the Install button.
- Follow the on-screen prompts.
- Click on I Agree in the Microsoft license agreement window.
- When the file gets downloaded, click on Run.
- Follow the prompts to install it.
- Click on Close when done.
Download and Install Office for Mac
- Open the web browser and go to office.com/setup.
- Sign in to your Microsoft account.
- Create a new account if you do not have one.
- After signing in, you will see all the plans that you have subscribed to.
- If your Office suite is not in the list, then you will have to ask the Office admin to assign a license for the same.
- Click on the product and choose a language.
- Click on the Install option.
- The installation file for Office setup will start downloading.
- When the download is over, double-click on the file.
- Accept the Microsoft license agreement when prompted.
- Enter the password for your system.
- The setup will start installing.
- Click on close when done.
Office Setup Activation
After downloading and installing Office suite on your system, you need to start a program and activate it. Find Go to the inbox of your email and copy the 25 character alphanumeric product key code. Find the steps for activating Office setup here:
- When the installation process is over, you need to go to Start.
- Go to All Programs.
- Click on any application of the newly installed Microsoft Office suite.
- When you launch the app for the first time, an Activation Wizard window pops up.
- Paste the previously copied Office product key in the Activation prompt. Press the Enter key.
- Follow the prompts.
- After a tutorial, you will be able to use the Office apps.
Microsoft Office Applications
Typewriters are a thing of past now. In Word, you can change fonts, sizes, templates, and add graphs, tables, charts, pictures, and so much more. Newer versions of Word allow the users to share the documents in real-time. So users can edit and modify the document simultaneously.
Excel is an amazing application for business analysts. Even if you need Office for home or personal use, you can make task lists; to-do lists, and manage your household expenditure accounts on Microsoft Excel. Excel helps in bringing data together and can be accessed from the internet.
If you have to give a presentation, then you should definitely make it on Microsoft PowerPoint. With PowerPoint, you can add beauty and attractiveness to the presentation. Use audio and visual tools to embellish the slides. You can also share the presentation with people online.
Microsoft Access can be used to create basic database management systems. Access is very easy to use, and it does not require intensive training to master it. Since Access comes with the Microsoft Office suite, it integrates well with other Office applications such as Word and Excel.
With Publisher, users can make marketing stuff without having to take help of an expert. Even people who are inexperienced in graphic designing can create professional-looking publications such as invitation cards, brochures, business cards, pamphlets, etc. by using the templates.
With OneDrive users can store their data in a cloud. Users can access their data from anywhere and from any device by just going to the application or the website. OneDrive saves a copy of all the documents automatically. The files saved on OneDrive can be shared with just about anybody.